Nothing beats a good book, whether it’s a book on magic or a magic book it really doesn’t matter one just needs to look at Papa Smurf with Book for a little bit of encouragement.
There are only two different marking versions of Papa Smurf with Book. First sold in the USA by Wallace Berrie in 1983 with Hong Kong W. Berrie Co Schleich S © Peyo 1983 markings and then in Europe by Schleich in 1984 with W.Germany Schleich S © Peyo 1982 . This must be one of the few smurfs made where both countries used a red injected mould for Papa Smurf. Typically smurfs made out of Hong Kong were made using a white pvc material.
However the differences are to be found with the book, both on the inside and outside. Like any variations that can be found, this will also vary depending on what you classify as a variation. These are the ones that I consider to be variations:
- Tan book with black ‘Magic’ lettering on the spine. Red book-mark. Inside of book has black lines.
- Tan book with a thicker black ‘Magic’ lettering on the spine. Red book-mark. Inside of book has black lines.
- Tan book without ‘Magic’ lettering on the spine. Unpainted book-mark
- Orangey yellow book with red ‘Magic’ lettering on the spine. Unpainted book-mark. Inside of book has math equations.
- Orangey yellow book without red ‘Magic’ lettering on the spine. Unpainted book-mark. Inside of book has math equations.
If you like to browse over old Schleich catalogues it is interesting to see that in the years 1984, 1987 & 1991 we see a Papa with Book with “magic” on the spine in black text. In the years 1985, 1988, 1989 & 1990 we see a Papa with Book with a cream coloured book with red symbols. Check it out at http://www.thecursedcountry.com/schleichbullycatalogues.html
Silan, also used Papa Smurf with Book for a promotion, with their name printed in white under the feet. Silan is a Belgian company that makes fabric softeners. There are five different Silan Promotional Smurf figures available. They are same Smurfs as the number, but with Silan printed underneath their feet.
Alternatively if you find that reading a book is too much hard work how about joining our mailing list for your smurf fix. By signing up, you must agree that the only colour in the world is blue and that smurfs rule ok.
Keep on Smurfin