It is easy to feel intimidated or that collecting Smurfs will be expensive at the beginning. But’s that’s a complete myth and couldn’t be further from the truth. I recall I wanted to learn about the different markings on Smurfs. Gift & Flowers Smurf was perfect for this because it was available for a long time and inexspensive.
A Smurf is carrying a yellow gift wrapped up in a red ribbon in one hand and a bunch of flowers in the other. The Smurfs have always been known for the kindness and thoughtfulness. What better way to show this by creating a figurine that demonstrates these qualities.
Schleich sold Gift & Flowers Smurf between 1978 to 1991 and 1993 to 2006. Also Wallace Berrie in the USA sold Gift & Flowers Smurf between 1979 to 1984. Both companies not only sold the figurine but other products that included the Gift & Flowers Smurf. For example, triangle pedestals, on suction caps just to name a few. When you add all this up, though you won’t find any rare colour variations, you will find many different markings.
Growing up in Australia, the majority of the Gift & Flowers Smurfs were spray painted and made out of Hong Kong. I recall collecting my first Gift & Flowers Smurf made out of West Germany and comparing it to my Hong Kong one. Same Smurf but so different and not expensive.
Now twenty years plus of collecting my philosophy hasn’t changed. In my opinion, if you enjoy collecting Smurfs that you like that’s all that matters. I like collecting different Smurfs with different markings and that is enough to keep me happy.
My list of markings for Gift & Flowers Smurf
- W.Germany Schleich emblem Peyo
- W.Germany Schleich S Peyo
- Made in Hong Kong Schleich emblem 1978 Peyo
- Made in Hong Kong Schleich S 1978 Peyo
- Made in Hong Kong Schleich S 1980 Peyo
- Made in Hong Kong W.B.CO. Schleich S 1978 Peyo
- Made in Hong Kong W. Berrie Co. Schleich S 1978 Peyo
- Made in Sri Lanka Schleich S 1978 Peyo
- W.Germany Schleich S Peyo CE
- Germany Schleich S 78 Peyo CE
- Made in China Schleich S Germany 78 Peyo CE
- Made in Germany Schleich S Germany 78 Peyo CE
Please let me know if there are more marking variants that needed to be added to the list
Keep on Smurfin